A family of five escaped a Knox County
fire Wednesday morning.
Crews with Rural Metro, the Knox County Sheriff's Office, and the
Knoxville Utilities Board were on the scene of the fire that was
reported at 9:40 a.m. on Smith School Road. Authorities said two dogs
were killed in the fire.
When crews arrived at the scene, they found a heavy fire on one side and
through the roof of a single-wide mobile home.
According to local news reports the family's 70-year-old grandfather
warned his loved ones as a propane heater burst into flames inside the
home. After the family made their escape, a few of the grandfather's
oxygen tanks reportedly exploded inside the home.
"I was thinking, 'Get out and call the fire department,'" Richard Branch
told Knoxville's local CBS affiliate WVLT. "That's what I was
thinking—get everyone out."
Branch said he had 20 oxygen tanks in the home. He said he believes the
tanks exploded in the fire.
Officials said the use of working smoke detectors could not be verified
Investigators said the family's home of 22 years is a total loss. Now
injuries were reported.
"I'm just glad I got out alive," Branch said. "That's the most important