A Loudon County teacher is being called
a hero after she saved a child's life in the classroom.
Melinda Moroz has taught for 26 years, and she said she finally found
her fit teaching first graders how to read. She now teaches at Eaton
"Once they learn how to read, the world is theirs," she said.
A few days ago, after all these years in the classroom, she had a scary
first when a child started choking.
First grader Colby Arwood had a piece of candy lodged in his throat and
couldn't get it out.
"I tried to catch it when it went in my throat, but it wouldn't go
back," Colby said.
So Moroz jumped into action, performing the Heimlich maneuver over and
"I did it the third time, but still nothing," she said. "But the fourth
time was a charm. It flopped on the floor, with my heart."
She had saved his life, thanks to training she's learned from Priority
Ambulance service. They give annual first aid classes to all Loudon
County schools. It was the brainchild of Priority Ambulance supervisor